Setting up the Christmas Tree with the Andersen Family: An Adventure in its own!

About a week ago, I was able to convince Lon to let us set up the Christmas tree. I say this, because normally our tree is up and our house is decorated by Black Friday lol. But this year, in all of our business, we were late on our decorating... And Christmas card making... And Christmas present shopping... And Christmas cookie making... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! :D

We had talked to Alan a lot about the tree, and how there would be "pretties" (Alan's name for anything pretty at Christmas lol) but he couldn't touch them after we put them up, but I was still anxious. You see, I bought all my ornaments the year I got pregnant with Alan, before I even knew I was. So the majority of my ornaments are glass, shatter-proof mind you, but glass none the less. They hold a lot of sentimental value for me, as that was Lon and I's first Christmas together. We decided to put the baby gate up around the tree and hoped that would be enough. And of course, it was but situations still find ways to make themselves happen lol. Such is life. :)

So we successfully set up the Christmas tree, and Alan even helps me with the glass ornaments. He was so gentle with them, I was pleasantly surprised. Afterwards, I took a quick bathroom break and Lon went into the back closet to get the rest of our house decorations, and he thought Alan had followed him.

But no, my rowdy son had instead went to his toy box and found his toy hammer and proceeded to smash EVERY. SINGLE. GLASS. ORNAMENT. that he could reach. I come into the living room to find it looking more like a CSI Christmas crime scene than the decorated room I had previously left. And there, in the middle of it all, was a smiling and laughing Alan. Now I love my son to death, and have already forgiven him for this (it was our bad parenting anyways lol) but I have to admit, I was so heartbroken at the time that I burst into tears and ran out of the room, sobbing. My poor son felt awful about it, so we comforted him and put him down to bed early.

I went to bed, still upset, and woke up the next morning to go to work without seeing my husband or son before I left. Well while I was at work, those sweethearts went around the house and found cute crafty things to make into make shift ornaments, and they redecorated the tree for me. :) Here is our Christmas family photo we took, see all the cool "ornaments"? Love my boys!


Our lesson has been learned this month lol, DO NOT LEAVE TODDLERS ALONE WITH TREES! We will never commit this awful mistake again!

Hope everyone else's holidays are running smoother than ours! :D

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

She's Back!

Toddler Talk Thursdays and Adventures of a SAHD

Top Two Tuesday!! April 19, 2011