Do Not Serve Under Cooked Potatoes At a Dinner Party

This weekend we had a guest over for dinner. It was Lon's best friend Shaun, who also owns the gym that Lon works at. We had invited him over last month for his birthday dinner but he was too busy to make plans until this month. I was very excited to have company over, we picked out a movie to watch and I planned out the dinner. I figured we would do some sort of pork chops with potatoes, rolls, green beans and some rice. We could even have wine, if I planned out my pumping and nursing schedule around it. Excitedly, I started looking through my cookbook.

And there was nothing that looked good. Oven baked pork chops, thai orange pork chop skillet. Yuck!

Okay, so let me disclaimer this before you think that I am a big weirdo. I do not usually like pork or ham, or really any part of a pig for that matter. I was a dedicated vegetarian in high school and even though I eat meat now, I have a very limited palette that I will choose from. Like... chicken, beef and any wild game. That's pretty much it. I do not like turkey and ham or seafood or anything of the like. I am pretty picky, I will admit it. But that's not what this post is about lol. This is about Shaun's birthday dinner. So I chose pork chops.

After looking for FOREVER, I found a recipe that I could alter somewhat for everyone to like. This is what I made (Oh how I wish I had pictures): Onion and herb pork chops with potatoes. I will put the recipe at the bottom for everyone.

Somehow everything got crowded up into each other, and I was running late. Shaun showed up before I had even started dinner and he was hungry. So I scrambled and made the dishes to the best of my ability, following the changed recipe. Something in my gut told me to cook the potatoes with the chops the whole time but the recipe had me put them in last.

Sooooooo wouldn't you know, I served everyone half cooked potatoes. Insert big frowny face here. Everyone told me that they weren't that bad and that everything else was delicious, but I tried them myself and YUCK,  I mean they were awful. But the pork came out fantastic! And everything else was good as well. So it was all okay. I just felt very silly for inviting someone over for dinner (instead of just going out to eat) and then messing up the food anyways. But we live and learn, right? Shaun and Lon told me the food was really good too and that it was just fine that the potatoes came out bad, it was only one small part of the meal. So I was okay with it.

It was very nice to have company over again. I feel like I am always saying this but I just love company over. The kida and I rarely get out of the house anymore, so company is the best! We will have to do it again sometime soon!

Like I mentioned above, here is the edited recipe of the Onion and herb pork chop recipe. I fixed it so that the potatoes should come out right this time!

Onion and Herb Pork Chops

Ingredients:
1 1/2 teaspoons Rubbed Sage
1 teaspoon Minced Garlic
1 teaspoon Tyme Leaves
1/2 teaspoon Ground Allspice
1/2 teaspoon Paprika
1 teaspoon All Purpose Flour
4 Pork Chops
4 teaspoons Olive Oil
1 Medium Onion
1-2 Potatoes (Depending on peference)
3/4 cup water
1 teaspoon Brown Sugar (Oppotional)
1 teaspoon Salt (Oppotional)

Step One: Mix flour, all of the spices and salt in a small bowl. Sprinkle both sides of chops with seasoned flour and rub into meat. Cut potatoes and onions into thin slices.

Step Two: Cook pork chops in hot oil in large skillet on medium-high heat until browned on both sides. Remove the chops from skillet.

Step Three:  Add the potatoes, cook and stir for five minutes or until tender. Add onion, cook and stir for three minutes or until tender.

Step Four: Stir in water, brown sugar and remaining seasoned flour until well mixed. Return pork chops to skillet. Bring to a boil.

Step Five: Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer five minutes or until desired doneness.

I will make a point to post pictures of this recipe the next time I make it. Even if I have to use Lon's phone to do it lol.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

She's Back!

Beautiful Lengths...

Tucker's Birthday Party