What Being Without a Phone Means

I have been without a phone for a week now and I do have to admit that it has made a lot of things different. Not even in a bad way or anything, just different. I promise you readers that this will not be one of those "I cannot live without my phone" posts.

Because the reality is, I can.

In fact, I feel like I am doing so much better without my phone. I am taking more time out of my day to play with my children and enjoy them. I keep Alan outside longer now it seems. I have been meditating consistently again. I have made a workout plan (Tues, Thurs, and Sat I do 30 minutes of yoga or pilates) and I have actually been sticking to it during the day. I feel like my house is getting AND STAYING cleaner. And I now have this amazing free time for ME! Yes, I have been reading and drawing and sewing and beading and braiding again. Oh how I love it! How is all of this possible JUST from me not having my phone, you ask? Its so very simle, do you not see???

When I had my phone, I was online a lot of the time. I was almost always on Facebook or my email account. Thankfully, Blogger would not load on my simple phone but I bet if it did, I would totally have been on there too. It may not be something that I am very proud of, but I do admit it for the sake of trying to make a change. I do not believe in resolutions but I guess in a funny way "Fate" made one for me. I have realized what a change it has made in my day to day life now and I will make a point to stay offline most of my time when I get my new phone.

The other thing I have enjoyed about not having a phone is the personal visits we have started having. I told most people to just stop by if they needed to talk to me. And I love it! I have only had a few people stop by to visit with us, but its fantastic! The kids are happy to see them and I definitely enjoy the adult company. It works out great.

There are the obvious downsides to not having a phone. I have had to pack up both kids just to run over and make a phone call. I no longer have a camera and no way of posting photos. I lost all of my phone numbers and my pictures. I try not to fret over these things too much. They are not super important at the moment because I still am able to make do. And I just remind myself that it will only be a month or so before I get a new phone. So no big deal really! :)

I highly encourage everyone to try going without their phone for a period of time. For those of you who feel like you would die, just leave your phone at home for the day. Others that feel more comfortable, you could go without your phone for a weekend or even a whole week. Those that are parents should prepare to go without a phone, make sure you carry around a phone number book (something I have started as of recent for obvious reasons) and make sure your children know how to still get ahold of you. But it will really open your mind to what life can be like, you know, less connecting to the internet and more connecting with your children? You can only get something positive out of this. Maybe it will also get you to stop overusing your phone. I know a lot of people feel that way these days and I know that I was guilty of this feeling too. Its an addiction we all have in this day and age. And who can blame us? With all those high tech smart phones and Star Wars Angry Birds... No wonder we cannot ever seem to put our phones down! But  I do think that when I do get a phone now, I will only use it for the necessary. Let's hope! :)

Like I mentioned above, I have been meditating again and it has really reminded me of some of my teachings. In all the hustle and bustle, overall craziness of life with a preschooler and a baby, I have forgotten some of my Buddhist teachings. I need to remember that we all give and recieve stress. It is a vicious circle, but no one is alone in their turmoil. It just varies in degrees. We have been going through some hard times, some that I have shared with you readers and some that I have yet to share. I just am not fully sure how to yet... If that makes sense. Thankfully though, my teachings have reminded me some things that should help keep my anxiety at bay.

LIfe is interesting, to say the least. I have been reflecting on life and connections lately in my meditations as well. Okay, here is a cool thing: When I was younger, I used to daydream about being 23 years old with two kids and a husband. I was a dance teacher. I had one boy and one girl. Even though their names were not Alan and Anna, they usually started with the same letter. I have always liked that with siblings. But how RIGHT on was I? That is very cool I think. I have been thinking about that a lot.

Also, connections. I know so many people from different points in my life, and half of them all know each other from different points in THEIR lives! It is a very cool thing to think about, I just love finding out how people know other people I know! I am all about the love and sharing the love with people!

Oh isn't life just fantastic?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

She's Back!

Beautiful Lengths...

Tucker's Birthday Party