Alan's Doctor Appointment and His 24 Hour Liquid Food Diet

I took Alan to the Billings Clinic Pediatrics West this morning and after getting a check up from the new med student (He called Alan "Jaden" and me "Taylor" lol. Oops!) and then Alan's regular doctor too, it was confirmed that he has... The stomach flu bug. Oh joy. My poor baby boy! :( He has been put on a 24 hour liquid diet and when he recovers from the vomiting we are to give him probiotics for two weeks. He is currently contagious until he stops vomiting for 24 hours.The liquid diet flow chart she gave me goes something like this:

Step 1: 5 milliliters clear fluid every 5 minutes for an hour
Step 2: 10 milliliters clear fluid every 5 minutes for an hour
Step 3: Clear fluid for twelve hours
Step 4: Any fluid or soft food (Jello) for twelve hours
Step 5: Any food with probiotics once a day for two weeks

Everytime Alan vomits, I go back to step one.

*Sigh* This is tedious. As of right now, Alan is on Step 3 and will no longer be contagious tomorrow at 12:20 pm. I was able to get most of my shift off today, until my mother could watch him at six, but I don't want him to get sick and have my mom have to go through all the steps. She's busy enough dealing with schoolwork and April and Kalvin with Alan every night, I don't want her to have to do the 5 minute oral syringe feedings. If he regresses back to Step 1 while at Grandma's, I will just leave work early and take him home. Those feedings are hard, but necessary with all the vomiting and diarrhea that he's doing. I don't want him dehydrated. That would result in a trip to the hospital and a even more anxious mama. :\

I am grateful its not something more serious, but this is a hard diet to have a toddler follow. He currently is feeling a *tiny* bit better (I know its short lived) and has noticed the emptiness in his tummy. He keeps asking for all the food he knows how to ask for and asking to eat. We made him some jello but he only picks at it. Its all very frustrating and upsetting for him, and I just want him to be happy. So here he sits, on my lap with three of his stuffed animals, a book and his sipper while I *attempt* to type this post around him lol. :) Oh motherhood! Gotta love it! I'll keep everyone updated on how the little man fares tonight, but for now I'll see everyone tomorrow for Top Two Tuesday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Toddler Talk Thursdays and Adventures of a SAHD

She's Back!

Top Two Tuesday!! April 19, 2011