POV Posts: Red Gravy if You're Fancy!

This is my second installment of Point of View Posts, this time from my other good WTE friend Jen. Her blog is usually about recipes and her love for cooking, so her post is about spaghetti. I love that there is another family who loves spaghetti as much as this one does! :D I hope you enjoy.

Here is this week's POV Posts!

Spaghetti.

This single world evokes nothing but pure delight for me.

It is simply the perfect meal. It’s quick, it’s easy, it’s cheap and it’s freaking delicious. Plus I like to pretend I’m Italian so I like to make it and announce that we are having “macaroni and red gravy” while prancing around with a glass of wine. Yep, I’m fancy like that.

Spaghetti is a family favorite here. And with a two year old and a one year old (I’m fancy and crazy) eating spaghetti is an event. But it’s the one meal I know everyone will eat. The girls get stripped down to their under-roo’s and dive in! It always makes me laugh! The oldest slurps it noodle by noodle and the youngest likes to rub it in her hair. Bath time always immediately follows Spaghetti Night!


I beg you, BEG YOU, to make your own sauce. I always use to buy the jar stuff but after making homemade sauce once I haven’t looked back. The smell of the sauce simmering away on the stove is pure heaven. I wish they made a spaghetti sauce air freshener! Febreeze people, Scentsy people are you reading this??

How do you make spaghetti? I usually brown a pound of ground beef, add the sauce and stir in a pound of cooked spaghetti noodles. My sauce recipe is below. It’s so basic. Which is great because you can adapt it to your family’s taste buds! I never make it the same way twice. I’ve even sautéed veggies, pureed them and added them in the sauce to sneak in a little extra nutrition. Try making your own sauce, your family will love it!



 Here is my basic recipe:
Spaghetti sauce
1 large can crushed tomatoes
1 large can tomato sauce
1 can beef broth
1 cup red wine
1 can tomato paste
2T garlic powder
2T dried basil
2T dried oregano
2T dried parsley
1T crushed red pepper flake 

Add all ingredients into a large sauce pan. Simmer on low for 2-3 hours.

 *This makes enough sauce for 2lbs of hamburger and 2lbs of pasta. I usually reserve half of the sauce and freeze it in a ziplock baggie. It freezes GREAT! So feel free to double, triple, ect the recipe and stock up on spaghetti sauce!!

---------------------------------------------------------------

Jen is a 30 (what?!) year old SAHM to 2 beautiful, funny, smart girls. I love love love to cook and use my blog to share new recipes we've tried with family and friends. Cooking (and wine!) help calm me after those stressful toddler filled days! Check out my blog here!


Remember, if you liked this post and this blog, please click on the link below to vote for my blog at Top Baby Blogs. I am now currently at Number 206, but it would be the coolest to get down to 150 or lower.... :D Thanks to everyone who is voting for me!  You are all awesome!


Vote For Us @ topbabyblogs.com!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Toddler Talk Thursdays and Adventures of a SAHD

She's Back!

Top Two Tuesday!! April 19, 2011