The Week the Women Went

Today is a busy but uneventful day. I have several errands to run around town with the kiddos, Anna has another Lactation Consultant appointment, I plan on trying to take Alan to a park at some point, and I have to teach dance class tonight. I have been seeing my LC quite a bit this last few weeks, I will write a whole post detailing that later this week. Spoiler alert: I am now renting a hospital grade pump that I love!!!!!! But for today, I am going to post this review I did a while back and have been saving for a rainy day... Which is hilarious because it is sort of a rainy day today. :) So here you go, enjoy! Don't forget, only three more days until my blog's new change! Be sure to check it out!!!

Have you seen this new show? Its on Lifetime and basically, I'm addicted to it! :) It just recently started and I think I may be hooked lol.

Its based on the idea of "the grass is greener on the other side" but mostly that men would be nowhere without women and that women run the world. As a social experiment, all the women in Yesamee, Tennesee left their lives for one whole week, leaving the men of the town to run things. Several families are followed, including a bachelor who now has to watch his girlfriend's three teens and a family owned restaurant that now will be run by a fourteen year old girl and the dad with the adopted 15 month old twins. This is some crazy stuff!

I was looking for some pictures from the show to put up, and found out that this experiment has been done before in Canada. Twice! How interesting! I might try and find these episodes on YouTube and watch them during my free time.

The women leaving town

I think this would be a totally cool social experiment to participate in! What would be cool is if the parents totally just switched places! :) I dunno if Lon would be down for participating lol but I would for sure!! I would be worried about him being left alone with the kids though! He doesn't normally watch them and has never had both of them alone. He is a good dad but it could could still be a disaster lol! I don't think it would be too hard to do both his jobs but who knows? It could be! And it would be very trying and exhausting at the very least! My husband works his butt off! But of course being one of the women and getting to go on vacation lol, I would be okay with just participating in the regular show too. :P

Alot of people tend to not think about other people's point of view. You are always told as a kid to put yourself in other people's shoes but then when we grow up, we forget all about that. Life is definitely hard. Its hard for you and its hard for me and its hard for that guy outside walking down the street by himself. Everyone has their own problems and their own struggles and their own worries, thoughts and fears. Everyone is just exactly like you, but with their own life. So if someone is a little short with you instead of getting horribly offended at them, stop and think about what maybe happened in their day. Maybe their car broke down, making them late to work and they got chewed out by their boss? Maybe their mother is dying and their hours got cut at work and now they are worried about rent? You don't know.

This goes with waitresses and other employees like that too. Don't look down upon them and talk down to them. How do you know that they didn't graduate valedictorian from highschool then worked on Wall Street for several years before moving in with their elder parents? What if they lost their job as a surgeon due to the Recession and the only job they can now find is one as a waitor? How do you know that they aren't a starving musician or artist, maybe even the next Picasso?

The key thing here is: YOU DON"T KNOW what people's lives exactly are like for them, day in and day out, even if you know them. I don't know exactly what Lon's day is like or even Alan's day is like and I am with Alan every single day! But I don't know how he's feeling, what his perspective is, what his mood is or exactly what he experiences.

So why would anyone ever be rude to other people? Why would anyone ever be jealous of other people? I just don't understand. We need to remember what our parents used to tell us as children and just be nice to others because there's no gaurentee that you aren't the only nice thing that happened to that person. My mother used to tell me, "Everyone always has it worse then you, you just need to realize it." That has alot of truth to it, everyone is always going to have struggles and alot of times their struggles are alot worse then yours. We need to also remember that our own lives aren't so bad. We are alot more blessed then we realize.

I know I have been rambling and preaching alot today, but I will close with this. Here is one of my favorite Buddhist mantras, and it goes perfectly with all that I am talking about.

Accept disgrace willingly,
Accept misfourtune as the human condition.

What do you mean by "Accept disgrace willingly"?
Accept being unimportant.
Do not be concerned with loss or gain.
This is called "accepting disgrace willingly."

What do you mean by "Accept misfourtune as the human condition"?
Misfourtune comes with having a body.
Without a body, how could there be misfourtune?

Surrender yourself humbly; then you can be trusted to care for all things.

Love the world as your own self; then you can truly care for all things.

I really do hope this opens some people's eyes. And if you have Lifetime, be sure to check out the episodes of The Week the Women Went. It is quite the interesting show. :) Have a wonderful day everyone!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top Two Tuesday!! April 19, 2011

Toddler Talk Thursdays and Adventures of a SAHD

She's Back!