On Breastfeeding

***Warning to all non-mothers: This is a post ALL about breastfeeding. It may be viewed as TMI to some, this is why I am not sharing this post on my Facebook. Please do not read if you do not want to hear about all the pretty little details of breastfeeding lol. You have been warned!!***

I breastfed Alan until he was almost nine months old, but struggled with it the whole nine months. There was no, "It gets better as they get older" which was what I was told with Alan. He had the same issues with latching and nursing comfortably on day one as he did when I stopped. But I was stubborn and determined. I didn't just want to give up and go completely to formula only because it was hard. I credit that to what made me able to breastfeed for that long.

There were several reasons why breastfeeding was so difficult for Alan and I. First off, I have a large chest lol and that made it hard to line everything up for breastfeeding. Then there was the issue with my milk.

For most women, the get their colostrum just before or just after giving birth. This is what the baby feeds off of for the first few days of their life. For me, my colostrum didn't come in until after I had been home with Alan for a few days. So while at the hospital, Alan was supplemented with formula. By the time my milk had actually come in and despite our many efforts at trying to breastfeed, Alan wasn't interested in learning how to latch on. I still made many attempts at it, but eventually gave up and went to exclusively pumping and feeding him with a bottle.

With Anna, I want to breast feed again. I still feel that it is the best thing a mother can give their newborn and want to try with her too. This time around, I feel that I am a little more educated as a parent and will not have the same issues as I did last time. I am also proud to say that I am already producing colostrum at only 26 weeks pregnant and though it is seen now as more of a nuisance than a blessing, I am very grateful. This time around I am also preparing my body for breastfeeding, a thing that I thought was somewhat weird with Alan. But I was a young mom then so.

To prepare for breast feeding I have been doing more research on breast feeding theories, such as the fourth stage of labor theory. The fourth stage of labor theory is the idea that immediately after birth your baby breastfeeds, no matter what. Breastfeeding is seen as the last stage of labor and delivery, and thus should be treated with just as much importance. Your baby should be instantly placed on your chest for the first hour after birth, with the measurements and tests reversed for afterward. Your baby can be dried and the Apgar test can be done with the baby on you while you attempt to breastfeed for the first time. This would have been quite beneficial with Alan and maybe could have helped my colostrum come in faster.

I sold my breast pump when Alan was just a year old, so I will also be on the hunt for a new one for Anna. I had the Evenflo Double Breast Pump originally but didn't like it too much because the breast shields didn't fit me right. I want to do more research on pumps for bigger chested gals but I like this one right now. It doesn't normally have large breast shields, but Medela has an option for you to order them.



Medela Pump in Style Dual Breast Pump


Now, this is my dream pump because it is EXPENSIVE lol. But if I can get it for my baby shower or find one cheaper, then it will be mine lol! I like dual pumps so much better than single pumps because they get the job done so much faster! Love it, love it!

What did you do to prepare your body for breastfeeding???

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Toddler Talk Thursdays and Adventures of a SAHD

She's Back!

Top Two Tuesday!! April 19, 2011